Saturday, February 12, 2011

who am I & what am I doing?

I feel as if in the process of trying to slip into the role of "architecture student" I've somehow lost myself a bit. I've fallen in love with the idea of being an architect and the idea of spending hours and hours doing meticulous work in the studio. But that's not really me; it's an idea. In a way, I feel as if Architecture has become a set of blinders to everything else that I might possibly be interested in.

Now I don't know what I want to be when I grow up. That's a little scary--but a little exciting too. Because there are so many possibilities. I want to use this blog as a way to organize my thoughts and experiences. I want to explore different mediums and make things without overanalyzing. I want to be constantly motivated to be creative and to make things with my hands--because if Architecture school has taught me anything, it's that I adore the act and process of physically making things. The nature of handmade things allows for imperfections and gives layers of character and meaning that mass production simply cannot.

Relating the topic to Architecture: a hand drawing, no matter how technical leaves room for subtle differences in line weights and emphasis in drafting. The quality of the line, and the purpose of the drafter, no matter how subtle, can never be captured by any CAD program.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a message. It means a lot, and I don't take it lightly. Each one makes me smile--though I won't just follow you simply if you follow me. So please don't ask.

By default, I take a look at every single person that comments.